How to Cultivate Focus that Drives You to Success. Follow These 8 Simple Steps!
We all want to achieve great things in life. For some, that means having a corner office and admiration from peers. For others, it's spending more time with family or pursuing a long-held dream. Mine was for financial freedom, and independence. It doesn't matter what the "it" is, the desire for change resides in all of us. So does the ability to change our circumstance.
Aligning our lives with the state that we long to manifest requires focus which is one of the easiest and hardest things for people to achieve. Why is that the case? Well, it has a lot to do with the value we place on the notion of having and being able to do it all. The United States, in particular, is a culture built on the superhero concept. The image of tireless, put together, always in control people who swoop in to save the day, and rarely (if ever) do they take a moment to rest. We fuel the fantasy through technology; always connected, and multitasking, trying to squeeze one more ounce of productivity out of ourselves or others. Just thinking about it is exhausting.
Now, this post will not appeal to everyone. Some people prefer the daydream of success to a plan that builds it, and that's okay. But for everyone else, the truth is we have some tweaks to make if we want to obtain our goals. Right here, and now begin to implement these focus tips to achieve a much higher level of success.
The top 8 things you can do to cultivate your focus and realize the next level of success:
1. Get rid of old stories of failure. If defeatist attitudes surface or doubts creep into your mind when you consider pursuing your dreams, it's time to rewrite your story. First, acknowledge the stories and dissect them so that you understand the false narratives that run in the background of your mind. Tell yourself why they aren't true whenever they resurface. By doing so, you are rewiring your brain for success.
2. Create a master plan, in as much detail as possible, for what you would like to achieve. You will not have all of the answers from the outset. Don't sweat it. The idea is to create something tangible, to align with the possibilities of something different.
3. Highly successful people work their plans every day. Get into the habit, on a daily basis, of writing down a few things you want to accomplish that day to move you toward realizing your master plan.
4. Discard what does not feed your dream. People often cite a lack of time as an obstacle to achieving their dreams. If that is the case for you, take note of how you spend your time, and where you can gain some back. Hint: binge-watching is not an essential part of the day :).
5. Start thinking of yourself as a producer, not a consumer. Producers create value for the benefit of others. Recall the proverb, Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime. That proverb is a parable highlighting the difference in the mindset of producers and consumers.
6. Emulate the success of others. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Take, for example, Jeff Bezos and the team at Amazon; they have reinterpreted online shopping and the grocery industry. Uber revolutionized ridesharing and the taxi service. Look to the leaders within your area of interest to understand their perspective. Adopt the components that will work for you. Utilizing your time in this way allows you focus on the critical aspects of your success as you have defined them.
7. Broaden your circle to gain inspiration for the success you desire. "Surround yourself with people that reflect who you want to be." - RachelWolchin. Or as Einstein is credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” The gap between where you are and where you desire to be can be bridged. However, you need to recalibrate.
8. Take care of yourself. Make healthy eating, exercise, and sleep a priority. It is often difficult to receive more into our lives if we show little respect for what we already have. Approach these three areas with greater awareness, and they will yield tremendous dividends in focus.
You will know that you are making significant progress when:
- you have less time for drama
- accomplishments are occurring more often
- you're enjoying the feeling of accomplishment, and the mountains that once seemed daunting are now just molehills.
- abundance isn't an out of reach desire, but a reality you are experiencing.
May I be the first to congratulate you. You're well on your way to manifesting the life you deserve!
Always the best,